Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default Why did warm air central heating go out of fashion?

On 27/10/2020 08:53, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Vir Campestris wrote:

I had a gas-powered one in a small town house nearly 50 years
ago. Warm-up was fast, lack of radiators made room layout easier.

Builders of 60's and early 70's houses loved those floor to ceiling
'picture windows' made of cheap timber with single glazing. And
before the 1973 gulf war oil and electricity was cheap, while town
gas was never used for heating (much).

Every room was heated, including kitchen and bathroom, but these
two had no direct return duct.

The system was noisy, both air movement and fan vibrations;
cleaning filters, adjusting dampers and fan speeds never made
much difference. In three years we got through two transformers
and a fan motor.

In a family house, noise transmission along the ducts could have
been a problem, conversations could be heard around the house.

Water heating was by a large instantaneous gas heater, which gave
no trouble.

Chris