Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Solid fuel stove

On 27/10/2020 22:37, Chade wrote:
Hi I am looking for recommendations for a multi-fuel stove. Will
mainly be burning wood but would like to have the option. Preferably
with a flat top and a suitable for a direct (external) fuel supply.

Are there *any* that even fit those requirements?

Multifuel stoves with a flat top are two a penny, ones with self
cleaning large front windows are a bit rarer. Switching between fuels
involves altering the grate so that coal burns with more air.

You pretty much have to put the fuel in through the front window with
these and undertake various maintainence tasks like ash removal. Coal
generating a fair bit more ash residues than wood does.

All of the direct feed solid fuel furnaces I have seen were in practice
limited to a very specific size of pre-pelleted wood chips that were
compatible with their screw feed fuel handling unit. Most of them looked
pretty big and ugly too - the sort of thing you hide in an outbuilding.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown