Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian[_9_] Adrian[_9_] is offline

Default Why did warm air central heating go out of fashion?

In message , Paul
writes
One thing I've noticed, is the home heating people aren't
very good at design.

The ductwork on houses is seldom all that good. A long narrow
pipe is expected to deliver the same air as a short larger pipe.
All sorts of non-intuitive stuff going on.

It's just coming up 35 years since we swapped the tepid air for
radiators (and 31 years since we sold the place), so I can't give you
figures, but IIRC, the ducting would have been something like 8" x 6",
and I haven't a clue what the output of the heating unit was. The gas
boiler that replaced it (physically a similar size) was a vast
improvement.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
replace "diy" with "news" and reverse the domain

If you are reading this from a web interface eg DIY Banter,
DIY Forum or Google Groups, please be aware this is NOT a forum, and
you are merely using a web portal to a USENET group. Many people block
posters coming from web portals due to perceieved SPAM or inaneness.
For a better method of access, please see: