Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY[_2_] NY[_2_] is offline

Default Why did warm air central heating go out of fashion?

"Vir Campestris" wrote in message
It used to be we had open fires. But then hot water radiators came in -
much cleaner, and easier to manage.

Nowadays we seem to be moving towards underfloor heating - where
effectively the entire floor is a radiator. Efficient, but slow to
respond.

But there was a time when hot air systems were popular, and I think still
are in the USA.

Does anyone know why they went out of fashion? It can't just be because
they made a great place for spiders to hide!

I'll tell you why. To be blunt - because it didn't f***ing work ;-)

The house that my parents bought (new build) in 1972 had a huge
floor-to-ceiling gas boiler for ducted-air central heating. It needed its
foam air-filters cleaning out of dust every week. It made a very loud noise
and so was relegated to the downstairs cloakroom, away from any room that we
used. That room was lovely and warm - so a lot of heat was being "wasted"
instead of heating the rest of the house. The house was always cold, because
what came out of the floor ducts was a feeble breath of air that was barely
tepid. The only room that was warm was the lounge, because that had a gas
fire in it. Ducted air also made the house dusty - it kept dust in
circulation which would otherwise sink into the carpet and remain "hidden"
until the room was hoovered. Being facetious now, it was also a "great" way
to spread nasty smells around the house: one time there was a horrible
sweaty-foot smell in some of the bedrooms, which we eventually traced to the
duct in my sister's room where she'd shoved an unwanted cheese sandwich as a
prank ;-) My parents were on the point of having the ducted-air system
replaced with a conventional radiator system, because we all hated it so
much, but then dad got a new job so we moved and passed the problem onto the
new owner.

I'm sure ducted-air technology (insulation of ducts, efficiency of boiler)
has improved a *lot* in 50 years, but can it *really* heat a house up as
quickly and to such a high temperature as hot-water radiators (fed from a
boiler that is powered by whatever fuel is currently not condemned)?

When we were house-hunting the other year, we looked at one house where the
owner was proud of the energy-efficient heating system. But through the
whole house we were conscious of a continuous moaning noise which I presume
was the noise of the air fan being propagated along the ducts. I stood in
front of a duct - yes, the air was almost stone cold, just like it had been
in my parents' house.