Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian[_9_] Adrian[_9_] is offline

Default Why did warm air central heating go out of fashion?

In message , Vir Campestris
writes
It used to be we had open fires. But then hot water radiators came in -
much cleaner, and easier to manage.

Nowadays we seem to be moving towards underfloor heating - where
effectively the entire floor is a radiator. Efficient, but slow to
respond.

But there was a time when hot air systems were popular, and I think
still are in the USA.

Does anyone know why they went out of fashion? It can't just be because
they made a great place for spiders to hide!

We used to live in an early 60s place that had it. To describe it as
heating was getting close to misleading advertising, more like a slight
warm draught. Even if it had worked anything like, it was very
difficult to control compared to a radiator with a thermostatic valve,
basically vent open/vent closed. It got replaced with a conventional
gas fired CH system.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
replace "diy" with "news" and reverse the domain

If you are reading this from a web interface eg DIY Banter,
DIY Forum or Google Groups, please be aware this is NOT a forum, and
you are merely using a web portal to a USENET group. Many people block
posters coming from web portals due to perceieved SPAM or inaneness.
For a better method of access, please see: