Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

Default Why did warm air central heating go out of fashion?

On Mon, 26 Oct 2020 10:51:53 +0000, Vir Campestris wrote:

It used to be we had open fires. But then hot water radiators came in -
much cleaner, and easier to manage.

Nowadays we seem to be moving towards underfloor heating - where
effectively the entire floor is a radiator. Efficient, but slow to
respond.

But there was a time when hot air systems were popular, and I think
still are in the USA.

Does anyone know why they went out of fashion? It can't just be because
they made a great place for spiders to hide!

Andy

Two weeks before Chernobyl and not related, we had a serious house fire.
The house was gutted by a fire storm caused by our recently serviced Creda
ducted warm air heater and circulated through under floor ducts. The
property was a 4 bedroom dormer-bungalow. The ducts made it so easy to
propagate the fire to every room within minutes. The family was very lucky
to escape any injury and special thanks go to our Dobermann who alerted
everyone to the pending disaster.