Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default Why did warm air central heating go out of fashion?

On 26/10/2020 10:51, Vir Campestris wrote:
It used to be we had open fires. But then hot water radiators came in -
much cleaner, and easier to manage.

Nowadays we seem to be moving towards underfloor heating - where
effectively the entire floor is a radiator. Efficient, but slow to respond.

But there was a time when hot air systems were popular, and I think
still are in the USA.

Does anyone know why they went out of fashion? It can't just be because
they made a great place for spiders to hide!

Andy

Wummin prefer radiators. Or brainwashed into thinking they 'need'
radiators by various house-flipping tv programs.

Warm air systems had one major defect, you still needed to use
electricity to heat the hot tank, even if you had a gas-powered
system.

Also, I'm not sure how you would meet modern fire regs if you had
ducting in the void between ground floor and upper floor with its
potential to assist the spread of fire and smoke.