Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default PVA, and 'The Other' PVA

You mean it does not mean Pumpkins Via Air?
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"jkn" wrote in message
Hi all - slightly stupid question perhaps...

I see plenty of reference here re. the use of 'PVA' as a sealer. I have some
myself, a 5L container of 'Contractors PVA' bought from Toolstation or
similar and used for a few general projects around the house.

Until recently I thought that this PVA was just an industrial version of the
same "PVA glue" you can buy in stationers, supermarkets etc, as a paper
glue, and in DIY shops as a wood glue.

But I now realise that they have (or tend to have) different chemical
formulations. For a start, you can't use Contractor's PVA to make children's
slime. Disaster!

Looking into this a bit further:

- PVA glue: Poly Vinyl *Acetate*
- Contractors PVA sealer: Poly Vinyl *Alcohol* (I think)

My question is: Can 'PVA glue'(Polyvinyl Alcohol) also be used for all of
the sealing uses that are discussed here, or should I only use 'Contractors
PVA'(Polyvinyl Alcohol) for these purposes? I realise there is a cost
difference, its the functional difference I am interested in.

Thanks a lot, Jon N