Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default 3 Electricians 4 Opinions

On 23/10/2020 10:43, Radio Man wrote:
newshound wrote:
On 20/10/2020 12:49, George Miles wrote:

Anyways, to my question...€¦

Do any of the above scenarios mandate the fitting of RCDS / RCBOs?
When I bought this house it had fuse wires in a wooden box and ancient rubbery wiring.
My first move was to get an electrician to fit 3 beefy radials with a
socket at the ends for electric heaters etc in the most used rooms.
They added a new consumer unit and a new earth spike, presumably they
wanted nothing to do with the old wiring.
[george]

Luxury!

My first house (early 70's) had cotton/rubber insulated single
conductors in two-channel wooden "conduit". And the small bore lead
pipes for the original gas lights were still "live", as I discovered
early on in my rewiring. Then while hunting for a gas shut-off valve at
the bottom of a mud-filled gas stop-cock access outside the front door I
managed to snap off what turned out to be the cock for draining water
from the gas supply main. (The gas board were very helpful and
understanding).

Gas lights and rubber insulation in a 1970s house that must be unusual. Was
it a poorly refurbished older place.

Can't work out if you are serious, but in case not, it was dated 1889
and then refurbished to state of the art in about 1910.