Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

Default PVA, and 'The Other' PVA

Hi all - slightly stupid question perhaps...

I see plenty of reference here re. the use of 'PVA' as a sealer. I have some myself, a 5L container of 'Contractors PVA' bought from Toolstation or similar and used for a few general projects around the house.

Until recently I thought that this PVA was just an industrial version of the same "PVA glue" you can buy in stationers, supermarkets etc, as a paper glue, and in DIY shops as a wood glue.

But I now realise that they have (or tend to have) different chemical formulations. For a start, you can't use Contractor's PVA to make children's slime. Disaster!

Looking into this a bit further:

- PVA glue: Poly Vinyl *Acetate*
- Contractors PVA sealer: Poly Vinyl *Alcohol* (I think)

My question is: Can 'PVA glue'(Polyvinyl Alcohol) also be used for all of the sealing uses that are discussed here, or should I only use 'Contractors PVA'(Polyvinyl Alcohol) for these purposes? I realise there is a cost difference, its the functional difference I am interested in.

Thanks a lot, Jon N