Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jimk Jimk is offline

Default MIG welding question

Muddymike Wrote in message:
On 21/10/2020 21:39, wrote:
One of my many projects is to restore the (large number of) 1930s steel,
Crittall, casements in my house, and the wooden frames they sit in. The
problems are that the windows have leaded lights and haven't been
maintained so many have been nibbled at the bottom by the rust mouse,
which lets-in the rot mouse. I've been getting the steel sand-blasted to
get the paint and rust off, cutting-out the rotten bits (Rage2 chop saw
- brilliant!) and welding-in new sections using a couple of spare
casements for sources of metal. The steel is a modified H section and
about 4mm thick so I'm bevelling the edges to about 1/2 thickness and
doing butt joints, either in-line or mitred at 45 degrees.
The problem is that the steel seems to slightly "run away" at the edges
of the weld, leaving a small pitt. When I look closely while welding it
seems to be generating small balls (not MIG spatter) but I'm fairly
certain it isn't galvanised. Any comments or advice from experienced MIG
welder wielders?

Without seeing an image its difficult to diagnose but it sounds like you
are either using too much heat or travelling in a straight line too
fast. If galvanise were still present you would get lots of white smoke.

Try using a weaving motion erring towards the thicker metal.

Mike

+1
--
Jimk