Posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,sci.electronics.repair,alt.internet.wireless
Johann Beretta[_2_] Johann Beretta[_2_] is offline

Default WiFi out to 800 feet

On 10/18/20 9:32 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

The article conveniently explains part of the logic behind using wider
channels and mostly answers my question from my previous rant, which
you deleted and/or ignored. Basically, the approximate math is
simple. If your WISP configures their access point for a 40 MHz
bandwidth channel and the ISP has 10 full time connected users, the
system can deliver no more than 4 Mbits/sec to each user. If the WISP
reduces the occupied bandwidth to 5 MHz, and still has 10 full time
users, each one will only get 0.5 MBits/sec, which is inadequate. If
your WISP doesn't have much of a user load, or doesn't overload the
channel with too many wireless users, 5 MHz occupied bandwidth will
work just fine. Note that this simplistic channel loading estimate
ignores various factors that will either increase or decrease the
channel loading. For example, I'm assuming that the channel usage is
sustained at the maximum available rate, which is sometimes a bad
assumption. This becomes really messy if the streaming media provider
adjusts their deliver rate based upon error rate levels returns from
the viewers computer or media player.

I wasn't deliberately ignoring anything. I was just picking/choosing
what to reply to. (Limited time and all that jazz)

I disagree with the 4mb/s for each user though. Clients with less than
ideal signals should be put into low priority on the AirMAX scheduling
priority. This prevents them from hogging up transmission time. (for M
radios - AC radios apparently are able to handle that with whatever
programming logic UBNT has come up with as you no longer have to specify
priorities)

There area also various modulating schemes to help with bottlenecking
(TDMA, CDMA, and various new ones I'm sure).

My own tests flat out contradict that 4mb/s bs.. I can deliver a lot
more to customers than that.. And yes, these are netflixers so they're
using bandwidth constantly. Maybe back in the day this was true, but
that post you referenced is 5 years old and it is no longer the case.