Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Incoming mains capacity - ping Adam

On 23/10/2020 19:07, Tim+ wrote:
Roger Mills wrote:
I'm trying to ascertain the capacity of my incoming mains just in case I
acquire an electric vehicle at some time in the future (no immediate
plans) and wish to install a charge-point.

The thing to remember is that a standard domestic EV charger will draw no
more than an anaemic electric shower. ;-). There really isnt isnt much
point in going for higher than 7kW if you can charge overnight.

I reckon youll be fine.

Tim

Yes, indeed. And the 'smart' ones can monitor the current passing
through the meter, and throttle back the charging when there are other
high demands.

But I'd still like to understand what I've actually got. The original
house was built in the 1960's and, although I've replaced the original
"fuse box" with a consumer unit with MCBs and an additional CU has been
installed for the new kitchen, the mains supply itself has never to my
knowledge been upgraded - unless the fuse was changed when the analog
meter was replaced by a digital one.
--
Cheers,
Roger