Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Name that screw

In article ,
NY wrote:
As a matter of interest, when and why did cars change from using
threaded studs fastened into the hub with the wheel fastened to the hub
by nuts, to the modern practice of using bolts (machine screws?) into
threaded holes in the hub? Was it to make it easier to fit the wheel,
in that you only have to locate the centre of the wheel onto the
protruding boss on the hub and can then rotate it until the holes line
up, rather than having to locate four (or more) holes in the wheel onto
the protruding studs? My impression is that all manufacturers seemed to
change over at about the same time, some time in the late 1970s or
early 1980s, which suggests some external factor that caused them all
to change.

Interesting point. Fitting a wheel which uses bolts rather than studs is
no easier in practice IMHO. My last car which used bolts had a tool
supplied - a bolt with no head which you fitted to align the wheel when
changing.

--
*What do you call a dinosaur with an extensive vocabulary? A thesaurus.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.