Posted to uk.d-i-y
michael adams[_6_] michael adams[_6_] is offline

Default Name that screw

"Roger Hayter" wrote in message
On 22 Oct 2020 at 17:42:21 BST, ""michael adams""
wrote:

"Andrew" wrote in message

On 22/10/2020 17:25, michael adams wrote:

"NY" wrote in message

As a matter of interest, when and why did cars change from using threaded
studs
fastened into the hub with the wheel fastened to the hub by nuts, to the
modern
practice of using bolts (machine screws?) into threaded holes in the hub?

No they're definitely screws, of some kind or other if they have to be
screwed in. Maybe calling them all "bolts" as with cylinder head "bolts"
is some kind of affectation among car mechanics.

My astra wheel nuts /bolts are not screws.

If you've got nuts, then they're bolts obviously.

That's the definition of a bolt; something with a thread on the end onto
which is
screwed a nut.

The OP is talking about screws which you screw into the hub with no nuts
involved.

michael adams

I defer to your greater knowledge, of course, but I have never heard studs
called bolts. In fact, the humble stud contains in its person both what you
call a screw and what you call a bolt. So best to call them studs?

It was Andrew who called them bolts not me. As in " My astra wheel
nuts /bolts are not screws".

This was in response to the OP who was talking about machine screws which are
screwed into threaded holes in the hub, with no nuts involved.

Formerly, as the OP explained the wheel was fastened with nuts threaded onto
the end of studs as in "As a matter of interest, when and why did cars change
from using threaded studs". But neither the OP nor myself ever referred to
those studs as bolts

Presumably this was what Andrew was referring to only he chose to call them
bolts. And for all I know bolts may in fact have been used on Astras
in that situation for some particular reason. Which Andrew having a
greater knowledge of Astras than myself, will of course be in a better
position to answer.

michael adams