Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fredxx[_3_] Fredxx[_3_] is offline

Default Name that screw

On 22/10/2020 17:51:28, michael adams wrote:
"Fredxx" wrote in message ...

Yes, a bolt has a plain shank, sometimes used for location and a machine screw is fully
threaded, aprt from say the top 1mm or so.

So you're saying that standard pattern woodscrews, all of which have a plain shank
are actually bolts then ?

" ?

Different trade where different terms are used. Sheesh.

You are now saying a cylinder head bolt is a screw because retention is not by a nut.
This is in the face of centuries of UK tradition.

As on the cylinder heads as found on the engines of Mail Coaches and similar
you mean ?

The last mail coach I saw ran on rails. You're now being ridiculous.

There is usually a very strong correlation between the hole size and bolt/screw.
Anything else would be considered a bodge.

But at least it *is* possible bodge with genuine bolts whereas it clearly isn't with
the
kind of nuts which you insist on calling bolts based solely on their appearance.

I think you're getting confused with nuts and bolts. I have never called a nut a bolt
or visa-versa.

You probably have at some time or another but I'll let that one go for now,

So yes, go on, do your lap of honour.

I don't feel any need. I just don't see your point.