Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default So that's why all this puff about the 'hydrogen economy'

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I think that page only applies to their *built in* chargers

yes, but unless you're paying to use a DC fast charger, that's what
you're likely to be using.

or the POS that is being advertised there.

yes ignore the POS, I just happened to be looking if there were 2ph
"chargers" available (people think of the thing they have on the wall at
home as a charger, it's not, it's just an EVSE which is a glorified
relay to turn on/off the AC to the car safely, and tell the car how much
current it's allowed, the actual charger is in the car).

I do not know how a fast charger interfaces to a typical car

DC straight to the battery (200A @ 750V max) the smarts is in the fast
charger, rather than in the car in this case.

but I do
know that I can charge my aircraft batteries in an hour, or less if I
don't mind possibly damaging them.

It is all about how you regulate the Vs and Is into them . And, given
that the only decent electric car there - the Jaguar I pace - has a
90kWh battery, 7kW is not going to cut the mustard at a public charging
point is it?

Most of the charging points you see in car parks, and on-street are
simply AC, not DC fast charge, those ones on motorway services with a
cable as thick as a petrol pump hose.

Of all the issue with leccy cars, the inability of the domestic mains to
**** out more than 7kW at a time is neither here not there. That one CAN
be solved with better engineering,

I don't think it's a huge problem if you do have off-street parking 7kW
x 12 hours or whatever should re-charge most cars.