Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Leaf Blower engine seized

On Wed, 21 Oct 2020 17:29:20 -0400, Tekkieİ
wrote:

On Sun, 18 Oct 2020 23:04:11 -0400, Clare Snyder posted for all of us to
digest...

On Sun, 18 Oct 2020 09:52:53 -0500, Dean Hoffman
wrote:

On 10/18/20 9:32 AM, J wrote:
So, this is due to my own stupidity, but I believe I've seized (or mostly seized) the engine on my leaf blower. This group seems about 90% off topic these days, but maybe some of y'all are still answering repair questions, so I've come to find out if it's possibly salvageable.

Because of back problems, I hadn't used my leaf blower in a couple of years, but was feeling up to it this year. Due to a fit of stupidity and just not thinking, for some reason I believed it took straight gas instead of a mixture of gas/oil. And for some even dumber reason, I didn't bother to confirm this suspicion.

After a couple of (small) tankfuls of gas, it conked out. I left it to cool down for a while and came back to it and the pull-cord would not pull at all. I took it partially apart and was able to spin the engine by hand, which loosened up the pull-cord. Now I can pull the cord and it will spin, but not start. The spinning is not smooth, it catches a little at one point in the rotation.

It was at about this point that it dawned on me what I had done (not too quick on the uptake). My question is, is it junk at this point and should I list this in the column of lessons learned the hard way, or since it will rotate and slightly catch at one place, is there a way to lubricate the engine and get it going again (and fill it with the proper mixture of gas/oil this time)?

It''s a green Hitachi (RB24EAP I think), maybe about 3 years old. Thanks

-J

It's the chicken and the egg as far as off topic posts.
The group is getting more like a bunch of people at the local coffee
shop and discuss what ever comes to mind. The normal denizens have a
wide range of backgrounds. One was a mechanic and another an electrical
inspector.
Do you have spark? Pull the plug and find a way to hold it
against metal of the blower. Your local hardware store should have some
sort of jumper wire with clips at each end if you can't hold the plug
against steel. It should spark when you pull the cord with the switch
on.
Does the blower spin freely with the plug removed? I'm wondering
if the slight catch
is the top of the compression stroke.

He siezed it due to lack of lubrication - so the rings have most
likely scuffed the cyl - and it is both not building proper
compression in the combustion camber and not building crankcase
pressure/vacuum which is required for a 2 stroke engine to run. Call
it an expensive lesson and pitch it.

To the OP "J" I would have to agree with Clare's post. By the time you figure
it out by yourself or others and get parts $$$ it is mostly likely *junk*.
Sorry to say. I am even slower than you and have done similar "life lessons".
You might be at the stage of life (I am) to have a landscaper do it. I have
found it to be cheaper. No buying mowers or other equipment on a 3 year cycle,

Still using my Yazoo Pro built in 1961 (or most of it, anyway -
replaced the original Briggs and Straton engine with a Chonda about 8
years ago and rebuilt the deck with a sheet of stainless steel
countertop) I picked up a little Toro on the curb a few years ago that
I use in the fall to mulch leaves (Mid eighties)

etc. Plus I couldn't do it if I wanted to. Ah, the smell of fresh cut grass
every other Monday.