Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline

Default So that's why all this puff about the 'hydrogen economy'

In message , tim...
writes

"Tim+" wrote in message

t...
tim... wrote:

"Tim+" wrote in message

I don't know about this particular car, but I think that fuel-cell
powered cars have a future.

At the moment they are prohibitively expensive because they're
only made
in penny numbers. Demand is low because of the high price and
because of
the lack of re-fueling infrastructure. If that vicious circle can be
broken, they'll really take off because they have a much higher range
than BEVs

That *sounds* like it out to be a huge selling point, but in
practice, the
vast majority of journeys are short ones.

but do the vast majority of cars only do short journeys?

No, but how much contingency to you really need?

For me the tipping point was waiting for an affordable EV with a range
greater than my Alfasud. (250 miles). Im happy to live with taking a
45-60 break every 250 miles or so if on on a long journey.

Having to have two cars to solve that problem isn't going to be a
great use
of resources

You just need to to plan your recharge stops for long journeys or if you
want to really crack on, theirs always car hire.

Weve all got very used to the ability to re-fuel quickly thanks to the
energy density on petrol/diesel but once youve got over the initial panic
and learned to plan, its a lot less of an issue than you might imagine.

Additionally, I can refuel my car in my sleep! Can you? ;-).

AIH, no

Imagine never
having to visit a petrol station again.

Lastly, with fuel costing just 5p a mile based on home charging

you think HMG isn't going to find some way to tax electric mileage
after they have lost the income from fuel duty

Inevitably but they have not adjusted road fund licences. Which they
might easily have done.
Our 1600 euro 5 diesel Fiesta is still only £20.00!

--
Tim Lamb