Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jimk Jimk is offline

Default So that's why all this puff about the 'hydrogen economy'

Roger Mills Wrote in message:
On 20/10/2020 18:29, Tim+ wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 20/10/2020 16:29, Roger Mills wrote:
Although a lot of my journeys are short, I do enough long journeys to a
BEV unviable with the range currently available. Hopefully battery
development will yield higher capacity batteries without increasing the
size and weight. Even so, a full charge will then take longer.

fast charging is something batteries can already do - a one hour flat to
full is well within lithium capabilities, but I haven't seen much in the
way of better energy to weight in the last ten years. Cost is about half
what it was ten years ago.

The limits on fast charging is really the local last mile grid. Few
houses have 100A fuses and that is the limit for a normal domestic
installation. 25kW will still take 4 hours to cram the electrons into a
100kWh battery...leaving nothing left over for the mandatory house
heat-pump.

But you don?t need fast charging at home. A 7kW charger is quite adequate
for overnight charging.

Tim

That depends on battery size. If higher capacity batteries are developed
which produce an acceptable range, 7kW my well not be enough.

I'm currently leading a study into the possibility of installing charge
points in the remote garages belonging to the building of which my
holiday flat is a part. The cost would be considerable due to the need
to run cables about 50 metres underground. It's a nightmare trying to
anticipate future requirements in order to make it as 'future proof' as
possible.

"Leading a study"?

Is that you're asking for quotes?
Or do you have people to talk to their people?
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/