Posted to uk.d-i-y
Paul[_46_] Paul[_46_] is offline

Default Breakthrough - superconductor

Jethro_uk wrote:
On Tue, 20 Oct 2020 14:53:01 -0400, Paul wrote:

Jethro_uk wrote:
On Tue, 20 Oct 2020 07:04:27 -0400, Paul wrote:

These are pretty good sources. It would take a fair number of nukes to
match them.
What effect does removing that energy from the ecosystem have on it ?

What's a little flooding here and there ? :-)

You need fish ladders for the salmon to get past a dam.
That's if your river has salmon.

The silt tends to fall out, behind the dam. And likely needs to be
dredged at some point.

And the reservoir likely has methylmercury in it.

TL;DR - not the zero sum game the terminally dim would have us believe.

They do an environmental assessment before building one,
so that the cost/benefit is there to see.

I think on balance, compared to the things we could be doing,
it's a pretty good solution.

We've run out of rivers to dam, so there won't be any more
really big projects, at a guess. Next comes tidal power :-)
(Don't worry, there's only one good spot for it... And
I don't think anyone is ready to pay for it.)

Paul