Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim GM4DHJ ... Jim GM4DHJ ... is offline

Default Scottish government delay smoke alarm legislation until 2022

On 21/10/2020 10:08, Brian Howie wrote:
On 21/10/2020 09:50, Scott wrote:
On Wed, 21 Oct 2020 08:25:58 +0100, Graeme
wrote:

Â*From BBC News :

New legislation which requires all homes in Scotland to have interlinked
smoke and carbon monoxide alarms will be delayed until 2022.

The moves followed criticism from Age Scotland and the Scottish
Conservatives over the lack of public awareness.

The new measures, which would cost an estimated £220 for an average
three-bedroom home, were due to come into force in February.

The Scottish government said MSPs would be asked to approve a 12-month
delay.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-54621068

I wonder if it will be as straightforward as a 12 month delay.Â* Now
that there is a greater awareness of what is required in terms of cost
and disruption, will MSPs come under pressure to 'water down' the
legislation?Â* Conveniently, they have put it off until after the
election.

Is it really necessary to have interlinked alarms in a flat where a
single alarm can easily be heard troughout, as anyone who has burnt
the toast will be able to testify?

It's certainly a supply problem. There are 2.48 million households in
Scotland. Say roughly a minimum of 3 alarms are required per household.
1 heat alarm in the kitchen, a smoke alarm in the living room and one in
the hall. CO are needed if there's gas CH

I think I'd need 5 . I already have 2Â* compliant CO . The smoke alarms I
have are non-compliantÂ*Â* That's a minimum of 7.5 million devices to be
found by February.

Something for the Xmas stocking ?

Brian

no way am I replacing my toast smoke alarms