Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Leaf Blower engine seized

On Tue, 20 Oct 2020 07:08:41 -0700 (PDT), J wrote:

I love the idea of electric - I'm a big proponent. The issue I have is not the power so much as the amount of time you get on a charge. My yard is not a half-hour job ;-). But maybe things will get better. We had a Nissan Leaf a few years back - it got a theoretical 100 miles on a charge, but less in reality (more like 75), and much less in the winter (you'd be risking it if you had to go 50 miles). Now we have a Chevy Bolt and it theoretically gets over 250 miles on a charge (and not much less in the winter) - and that number seems more accurate (based on estimated mileage and charge remaining - I've never run it out of charge or below about 1/4 charge). Right now it seems a lot more expensive for an electric leaf blower that would require several charges to do our yard - and unlike a gas blower that you can refill in a minute, recharging the electric will take a while. But I look forward to the near future where electric is the standard for this tool. It's tough (and
expensive) to be an early-adopter - you often pay a lot of money for something that doesn't live up to the hype. For most of us, waiting a few years is the way to go. For electric cars, we definitely were on the early side, but we leased instead of bought, knowing that major improvements were likely coming. The electric car still has some limitations, but for most driving applications, I think it's there. :-)

I have a 12 amp corded plower that gets the stuff moving and I don't
have the charge problem. OTOH I also have power everywhere so I am not
dragging a 100' cord around.

It might not be practical in your "one" NEC required receptacle (until
recently) was in the back.