Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default 3 Electricians 4 Opinions

On 20/10/2020 12:49, George Miles wrote:

Anyways, to my question...€¦

Do any of the above scenarios mandate the fitting of RCDS / RCBOs?

When I bought this house it had fuse wires in a wooden box and ancient rubbery wiring.
My first move was to get an electrician to fit 3 beefy radials with a socket at the ends for electric heaters etc in the most used rooms.
They added a new consumer unit and a new earth spike, presumably they wanted nothing to do with the old wiring.
[george]

Luxury!

My first house (early 70's) had cotton/rubber insulated single
conductors in two-channel wooden "conduit". And the small bore lead
pipes for the original gas lights were still "live", as I discovered
early on in my rewiring. Then while hunting for a gas shut-off valve at
the bottom of a mud-filled gas stop-cock access outside the front door I
managed to snap off what turned out to be the cock for draining water
from the gas supply main. (The gas board were very helpful and
understanding).