Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

Default Triton pocket hole screws, what am I doing wrong?

On Sat, 17 Oct 2020 13:50:45 +0100, MM wrote:

On Sat, 17 Oct 2020 10:12:17 +0100, wrote:

On 16/10/2020 18:42, MM wrote:
http://www.littletyke.myzen.co.uk/po...ole_screws.jpg

The above link shows a butt joint made with 1" Triton pocket hole
screws and the Triton double pocket hole jig.

The wood is 15mm thick on the short side.

I did several test joints using thicker wood, e.g. 18mm and they
worked a treat.

But as the picture shows, on the thinner wood the screws stand proud
by about 1.5mm.

Is it just because the wood is too thin for pocket holes?

I can of course file the proud bits flat, then insert the provided
filler plugs and finally sand down. The little bit of bright metal
showing after sanding down the plugs wouldn't matter.

But it's annoying.

I checked and the screws protrude from the rail exactly in the centre
of the butt piece as it should be.

Alternative: Kreg pocket hole screws appear to have more "compact"
heads instead of the rather large integral washers on the Triton
variety.

So could I use Kreg screws instead?

Thanks.

MM

Errr, drill a deeper hole. I use the Kreg system and it includes
guidance on jig settings and screw lengths for different thicknesses of
wood, I assume the Triton jig will come with something similar,

To do that I'd have top use shorter screws and Triton don't do 'em.

That's why I wondered whether Kreg screws could be used instead,
because they come in either pan head or washer head. I'm assuming the
pan head is smaller in diameter.

MM.

I've now received the Kreg pan head screws (eBay). The heads are
indeed much smaller than the Triton washer head screws, I also found
Kreg 3/4" (19mm) pan head screws, but they appear to be only available
with a fine thread for hard woods. Nevertheless, I bought 50 of those,
too. (They are only No 6 screws, though; the others are No. 7.)

On the second frame I had a brainwave, such as it was. The 15 x 41mm
frame, as mentioned before, sits on the drawer (formerly the shelf) to
prevent objects from sliding off when I pull the drawer out. The frame
is fixed from the underside of the drawer with 9 screws, three on the
front cross piece and three each on the side rails. The purpose of the
pocket hole screws was simply to pull the butt joint together while
the glue dried. So the "brainwave" was, since the frame is screwed
down eventually, I could keep the pocket hole screws in temporarily
while I finish off the frame, but then discard the screws after the
frame has been fixed to the shelf.

So that's what I did on the second frame. I removed the screws and
glued in the plugs. Very nice! This is what I shall do on all
subsequent shelves, about 12 in total.

After that, I need to deal with the blind corner cupboards as a
special case!

MM