Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Long lasting emergency lights?

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman wrote:

George Miles wrote:

recommendations for emergency lights with longer lasting batteries
please?

Alter them so they only come on when the circuit is switched on.

I've not seen emergency lights that work that way

Either they are non-montained, so they charge when the circuit is on,
and light up from battery when the circuit is off, until the battery
runs out.

Or they are maintained, so they are on (from mains) when the circuit is
on, and remain on (from battery) when the circuit is off.

Some are convertible between maintained and non-maintained mode by
removing an internal wire link, I have used this type in a dark cupboard
in conjunction with a "wardrobe door" switch, wire N/C contact of the
switch where the wire link was and it will believe there's a power cut
and come on whenever I open the door.

But I've never seen any that will stay off when the mains power goes
off, ready to be turned on from the battery when wanted ...

I'd say it not that difficult to mod one?

As the OP says, an emergency light which runs itself flat when not needed
seems a bit pointless to me in a domestic environment. In commercial
premises you'd likely evacuate in event of a power cut, so a different
requirement.

--
*I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.