Posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.d-i-y

Default 4G Router in place broadband via landline

On 19/10/2020 18:09, tim... wrote:

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
On 19/10/2020 11:14, tim... wrote:

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
I need a constant internet facility at my holiday flat in order to
use the Hive setup to remotely monitor the temperature and to turn
the heating on prior to each visit.

I'm currently paying for a landline plus ADSL broadband at a total
cost of about £250 p.a. (and the ADSL will go up in price when the
current contract ends).

and all this just(?) to turn the heating on before you arrive

I realise that it depends upon how well insulated the property is,
but it would cost me less in gas to keep my flat at a constant, say
slightly less than comfortable 16 degrees, than pay for this
telecommunications solution

tim

No, it's not *just* to turn the heating on! We actually live in the
flat for about 25% of the time, and need a half-way decent internet
service while we're there.

well I suppose that depends upon how much data you use when you are there

my usage for 30 days has been 500 GB (far too much online TV)

so lets say you are more careful and need 100GB

O2 SIM Only £30 pm

I'm not an expert in getting mobile deals so I guess someone will be
along with something better

No, 100 GB is way more than I need. We mainly watch TV off air rather
than online. But we do do a lot of browsing, and send/receive a lot of
emails with large attachments. My best estimate is around 1 or 2 GB for
the one week per month when we're there. [If we needed to pay £30ppm for
a SIM it would defeat the whole object of dumping the landline!]

Hopefully, the '3' 24GB SIM would last us between one and two years. [It
expires after 2 years, anyway]
--
Cheers,
Roger