Posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.d-i-y

Default 4G Router in place broadband via landline

On 19/10/2020 17:49, Graham J wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 19/10/2020 14:48, Roger Mills wrote:
The purpose of this thread is to explore whether there's a viable way
of achieving the same thing more cheaply by using 4G technology
rather than a landline + ADSL. The only stipulation is that the
internet router needs to support ethernet connections in addition to
wifi.

Many decent routers will support a dongle and SIM.
Mine (Draytek 2760) certainly does in a USB port.

You might find a PAYG SIM to be a superior option.

The problem is that the dongle has to be near the router - difficult if
the only good signal is on the roof.

Not really. I've seen dingles up on three meters of USB extender work OK

Or the router can be up there to, and the signal brought back via cat 5...

People like Teltonica make 4G/LTE routers which can be installed in a
waterproof housing somewhere high up.Â* See for example:

https://teltonika-networks.com/product/rut240/

I know of no ethernet 4G/LTE modems but there's a clear market for
Draytek to make a cellular version of the V130 ADSL/VDSL product.

too dark to read.

Groucho Marx