Posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.d-i-y

Default 4G Router in place broadband via landline

On 19/10/2020 11:14, tim... wrote:

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
I need a constant internet facility at my holiday flat in order to use
the Hive setup to remotely monitor the temperature and to turn the
heating on prior to each visit.

I'm currently paying for a landline plus ADSL broadband at a total
cost of about £250 p.a. (and the ADSL will go up in price when the
current contract ends).

and all this just(?) to turn the heating on before you arrive

I realise that it depends upon how well insulated the property is, but
it would cost me less in gas to keep my flat at a constant, say slightly
less than comfortable 16 degrees, than pay for this telecommunications
solution

tim

No, it's not *just* to turn the heating on! We actually live in the flat
for about 25% of the time, and need a half-way decent internet service
while we're there.

The purpose of this thread is to explore whether there's a viable way of
achieving the same thing more cheaply by using 4G technology rather than
a landline + ADSL. The only stipulation is that the internet router
needs to support ethernet connections in addition to wifi.
--
Cheers,
Roger