Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Good portable emergency light?

On Mon, 19 Oct 2020 01:01:31 +0100, williamwright wrote:

Does it have a varible beam width? It's all well and good having a
250 lumen beam that goes for 1/2 a mile or what ever but close up,

few feet, you just have a very bright spot of light surrounded by
relative darkness.

Yes, you turn the body at the front and it goes from a very bright spot
(I can illuminate a cat, fox, owl, or rabbit brightly at 100 yards on my
nightly nocturnal walks) to a wide but even beam.

That's good, I don't go lamping though. B-)
Nor can I justify £50 for it.

I normally use it on the minimum brightness setting as I walk because
otherwise it's just too bright when walking through pitch dark fields.

I find truely pitch dark doesn't happen all that often, there's
nearly always some moon and/or starlight. Enough to avoid walking
into things. I find I need illumination more when in town between the
sparse streetlights than out on the fields, the street lights ruin
your night vision.

--
Cheers
Dave.