Posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.d-i-y
Graham J[_4_] Graham J[_4_] is offline

Default 4G Router in place broadband via landline

Chris wrote:
Roger Mills wrote:

[snip]

I don't know for sure, but you may have an issue accessing your hive via a
data SIM as they don't get a unique IP you can directly access. However, I
don't know how a hive works for remote access.

Most data SIMs will give you a dynamic IP using CNAT (Carrier grade
NAT). So it's not a public IP but one issued from the carrier's private
pool.

However, things like Hive don't generally need a public IP since they
are pre-configured with the URL of their server, and it is this which
works like a piece of wire connecting your controlling device to the
Hive device.

The Hive may communicate with its server quite frequently. My sister
has a Nest (similar product to Hive) connected to the internet via a
Vigor router. I've just checked the router (because it uses a static IP
address, and I have configured it for remote management from my IP) and
can see 2 sessions for the Nest, but no traffic. However the traffic
graph suggest a few hundred bytes per second, fluctuating.

I suspect the Nest may check that the public IP is unchanged; that way
its server will know where to send enquiry packets when the need arises.
The Nest will have to keep the router's NAT tunnel open so probably it
sends a packet every second to its server.

--
Graham J