Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Breakthrough - superconductor

On Sun, 18 Oct 2020 04:47:16 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Lossless distribution makes an awful lot of substations redundant,

TurNiP.

No, it doesn't. You simply do not understand why they are there.

The AC/DC convertors may need to be there but if you have a truely
lossless distribution you don't need all that stepping up to 500 kV
and back down to avoid the distribution cable I^2R losses. You can
distribute at the final 415 V three phase over something very small,
no losses, no heating... All the supercondutor has to do is have
enough physical space to carry enough electrons (aka current) to
produce the required fields in, say, a motor. Electrons are very,
very small. B-)

What I'm struggling with is the division by zero in I = V/R.

--
Cheers
Dave.