Posted to uk.d-i-y
Scott[_17_] Scott[_17_] is offline

Default Repairing a tile

On Sun, 18 Oct 2020 10:05:14 -0000 (UTC), Radio Man
wrote:

Scott wrote:
We have a tile at the entrance door to the common stairwell that has
been damaged by repeated contact with the hook used to hold the door
open. It is a semi-circular abrasion of the glaze. The tile survived
for 100 years until new neighbours moved in but that's another story.

I'm wondering the best way to carry out a repair for maximum
durability. Ordinary filler or enamel paint would just wear away.

Could you cut out a circle with a diamond core drill and insert a brass
disk with a rubber pad behind. Not original but possibly in keeping with
the style not an original idea I saw something similar done in a place we
rented on holiday once.

No - the problem is that the the hook descends in a semi-circle to so
the damage extends to several inches.