Posted to uk.d-i-y
PeterC PeterC is offline

Default very true

On Sat, 17 Oct 2020 09:28:12 -0700 (PDT), polygonum_on_google wrote:

On Saturday, 17 October 2020 15:27:24 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
On Sat, 17 Oct 2020 05:43:00 -0700 (PDT), polygonum_on_google
wrote:

On Saturday, 17 October 2020 11:38:01 UTC+1, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpQkwPMnCqc
Why "very true"? What does that phrasing mean which would not have been conveyed by "true"?

In everyday speech and informal writing, emphatic pleonasms are often acceptable. For example, a letter ending with Thanks for your help; I
really appreciate it, is entirely forgivable, just as we might legitimately stress that something is absolutely essential, completely unnecessary,
extremely urgent or very true. But in formal scripts, pleonasms generally give the impression of weak writing skills and serve only to fill valuable
space with dross.

What happened to the formatting? Grammarly, copy / paste from
somewhere?

The one that really gets me and happens very often (on TV etc) is '3
am in the morning'? WTF do they think a.m. means?

'Very pregnant ...'

Cheers, T i m

I didn't expect anyone to read my quote, still less to have any curiosity as to where it came from!

https://www.gsbe.co.uk/style-clichss...verbosity.html

At home, we tend to talk about times like 17 o'clock. Am amazed how the 12-hour format remains so prevalent. It is crazy in this online world.

Somehow I prefer that - the 25h way of giving times is too long-winded and
too precise: oh-eight-hundred-hours versus eight, with morning etc. if
needed. Most day-to-day times don't matter a damn to a minute or few, that's
one reason that I like analogue clocks - I don't want to know the time of
day, just how long until..., so a quick glance for how long 'til the 'bus
goes is enough.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away