Posted to uk.d-i-y
polygonum_on_google[_2_] polygonum_on_google[_2_] is offline

Default Good portable emergency light?

On Saturday, 17 October 2020 21:52:14 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
I popped past Mums earlier and she's given me a couple of old torches
to look at because she has seen mention of power cuts and 'she tried
all the torches and none of them worked'.

So, whilst I'm sure I can get them working, they are likely
incandescent and so probably not give the best run-time for the size
etc.

Now she's probably forgotten I gave her at least 3 of those plug in
rechargeable movement detection / torches (that I think come on
automatically if the power fails) but I wondered if anyone had an
recommendations / thoughts for a decent 'lamp', something that would
light up a room but that she could carry / reposition that would last
a good few hours please?

Again, I'm looking for something someone here has had personally
experience of and thought / thinks was a good bit of kit.

Reliable, easy to operate, light ish (she's still pretty able for a
90yr old so it doesn't have to be featherweight but nothing based on a
car battery). ;-)

I've got a genuine Tilley lamp and know it puts out a fair bit of
light [1] but not something I want Mum playing with. ;-)

I also know you can get things that look like Tilley lamps but are LED
based but didn't need that 'style' if it was just a gimmick, a play on
the real lamp etc.

Cheers, T i m

[1] The last time we used the real Tilley lamp was at the after party
at an 'Arb' show and it lit up a large gazebo thing for about 20
people with no issues. ;-)

We have one of those small, light, plug-in charger-with-torch things.

It works as advertised. But not that useful.

I actually use an acceptably decent LED torch. Uses 4 rechargeable batteries. And if the torch isn't to hand when the power goes off, just use my mobile phone to find the torch.

I purposely chose one with a good light quality - must be close to a decent 4000K LED lamp. That makes it much more acceptable than the typical blue-ish cast of LED torches. Has multiple light levels which allows extremely long life at low brightness. But two issues I don't like. If I carry it in a bag, the switch is far too sensitive so very easy for it to come on accidentally. And it would be so very convenient if it charged from USB.

I'd get something similar again, if needed.

I also often carry a USB powerpack. And have a tiny silicone LED lamp that plugs straight into USB. Would last days, if needed! Cost of lamp almost nothing from Aliexpress. Powerpack used for phone anyway so no additional cost (from my point of view).