Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Triton pocket hole screws, what am I doing wrong?

On 16/10/2020 18:42, MM wrote:
http://www.littletyke.myzen.co.uk/po...ole_screws.jpg

The above link shows a butt joint made with 1" Triton pocket hole
screws and the Triton double pocket hole jig.

The wood is 15mm thick on the short side.

I did several test joints using thicker wood, e.g. 18mm and they
worked a treat.

But as the picture shows, on the thinner wood the screws stand proud
by about 1.5mm.

You can compensate by moving the collar on the drill bit, so that the
drill can penetrate further into the wood. Since its also drilling at an
angle that will place the shoulder of the set deeper from the surface fo
the wood as well. You may need to move the drill guide on the jig up a
bit to compensate for the extra drill depth so that you don't end up the
the shoulder too close to the end of the timber.

So could I use Kreg screws instead?

You could. But its a fairly easy adjustment.

--
Cheers,

John.