Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default very true

On Sat, 17 Oct 2020 13:41:21 -0700 (PDT), polygonum_on_google
wrote:

snip

Am amazed how the 12-hour format remains so prevalent. It is crazy in this online world.

But many people, especially the older people don't live in this online
world, this is just a world they dip into now and again for specific
things?

But good old British Rail starting using 24-hour clock an awfully long time ago. :-) In fact, most travel.

Sure, because we are often talking days ahead and you need to get it
right and with no typical rules or context.

If it's 10 am and I say to the Mrs 'you ok to take the dogs out around
two', she's not going to think I mean two the next morning.

If it's 10pm and I say 'I've just had an email saying that item will
be delivered between 8 and 9 tomorrow', given the deliveries *could*
be any time between 8am and 9pm, she would be right to be unsure if
that's what I meant or that it will be delivered between 8am and 9am
(not unreasonable) or 8pm and 9pm (less likely).

If it was 8-9am, I might say 'it's going at be delivered between 8 and
9 tomorrow morning or in the morning'. If it was the 8am and 9pm, I
might say 'anytime tomorrow between 8 and 9', where the 'any time'
would imply a greater range of time than just a 1 hour slot?

If someone says '... I'll meet you there between 8 and 9', that
*would* typically be a 1hr slot and the am / pm thing would be
whatever was appropriate for that event (cafe for breakfast or pub for
a drink etc).

I don't know anyone who uses the 24 hour clock for that sort of thing,
just travel (as you say) and the TV schedules. ;-)

I've often thought of getting a 24 hour analogue wall clock (we have a
'backwards' clock in the bathroom that's relatively easy to deal with)
but I think it would just look too busy and I'm not sure would fulfil
the 'point' of just glancing and reading the time ... or if not the
time, whereabouts in the day you were. ;-)

Cheers, T i m