Posted to uk.d-i-y
Robin Robin is offline

Default Breakthrough - superconductor

On 17/10/2020 11:23, GB wrote:
On 17/10/2020 10:35, harry wrote:
New superconductor found, works at room temperature.
Most important discovery of the decade?
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02895-0

Not there yet, but €śIf I have seen further, it is by standing on the
shoulders of giants.€ť This is definitely a shoulder.

No it isn't. It's a toenail at best.

The ONLY place we have found superconductors are dealÂ* makers is in
generating massive magnetic fields were we simply cannot cram enough
current into a room temperature copper coil without melting it. And a
bigger coil leads to a larger magnetic field.

It is supremely irrelevant to HVDC links where losses can be kept down
at sane cost by using a larger conductor or a pair of them.

That's the difference between being an armchair wannabe scientist, and a
retired engineer.

The instant question an engineer asks is 'whether it will do more at
lower cost and higher reliability?'

superconductors would make no difference to performance really and costs
would probably rise.

Do you dismiss similarly superconducting magnetic energy storage?

--
Robin