barry martin

Default 10 year old TV repair

Hi Chuck!

CY barry martin wrote:
CY
CY Steve:
CY
CY SB I have heard the 7 year design quoted on many occasions. Don't kno

CY SB if it is actually true or I just believe it because I have heard it s

CY SB many times.... Ofcourse actual life of the unit varys greatly
CY SB depending on how much you use it and even the conditions in your
CY SB house. I just wish they would make computer monitors as good as
CY SB televisions.... Seesm those dang things go out every year!
CY
CY Something's wrong if you are replacing your monitor every year. I've
CY been staring at this one for at least five years. The old terminals
CY at the store are at least 15 years old.

Should have added the store's terminals are not on any sort of surge
protection. OTOH they are IBM.....

CY Not sure where to start looking for your problem -- perhaps a ground
CY loop?
CY
CY And I keep all my electronic equipment on a UPS (the computers and such)
CY or on a tripplite Isolator bar. NYC power is scary to watch on an
CY oscilliscope. Picked up the Tripplite from a guy who was moving for $10.

Great deal!! UPSs are relatively cheap compared to the cost of
replacing damaged equipment. Provide surge protection and brownout/
blackout protection -- not fun to loose a bunch of work because
someone slammed into a pole a few blocks away, or more common here a
squirrel or bird gets too inquisitive with the transformer on the pole
in the back yard.

Also a very good idea to protect the other connections: telephone
and/or cable.

Lots of microsurges hammering at our electronic toys. I haven't
plugged my scope's probes into the outlet in some time but it
definately was not a smooth sinusoidal display!

CY All that said, a flat panel (for none graphics designers) saves a ton
CY on power, and cooling in any sort of pro use (8-10hrs/day) and pays for
CY itself in a couple years. Having that deskspace back is nice.

Plus can push the flat panel back -- as you said, gain deskspace
(there's a desk under all those papers?!) and something about my arms
are getting shorter as I age!

-
¯ barry.martinþATþthesafebbs.zeppole.com ®

* Hallmark? Happy birthday!
You look great for your age...
Almost Lifelike!
---
þ RoseReader 2.52á P003186
þ The Safe BBS þ Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971
---
þ RIMEGate(tm)/RGXMod V1.13 at BBSWORLD *