Harvey Van Sickle

Default Urgent: Going to buy a house with water in crawlspace

On 23 Jun 2004, Tom wrote

Hi Experts,

I need an your expert advise urgently. We are looking at
purchasing a house. We had house inspection done. There was water
in the crawlspace. The URL to the pictures is:

http://www.geocities.com/tttwilson/

The first picture shows the backyard
The second one shows previous repairs and dried mud on the plastic
The third picture shows standing water.

-snip-

The inspector says that he is pretty sure that most of the water
is due to rain water getting in and that sodding and french drain
will take care of it.

BUT what I need to know is clear and experienced
opinions/suggestions:

Shall I just stay away from this house?

Add me to the batch of people who say "listen to your inspector", but
"walk away unless it's a breathtakingly good bargain": they should be
fixing it *before* they try to sell it to you.

There are lots of houses out there that are worth buying; you don't
have to settle for a wet one.

--
Cheers,
Harvey