Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Electrical safety requirements in a rental property

On 15/10/2020 21:40, Dave N wrote:
I've finally seen the report - 3 items as C2. It seems that the electrician couldn't see any bonding to the pipework (I bet there is somewhere, but couldn't say where. As far as I know the 17th edition regs required this, and there wasn't anything mentioned 5 years ago); the electrician's words about the lights are "lighting connection behind downlights downstairs are in connectors [sic]". No idea what he meant by this - choc blocks, perhaps (but new fittings also use these)? Perhaps they are loose? There are only two bedrooms upstairs, not even a bathroom, so fire rated lights would be recommended but as far as I know not mandatory. Finally "Cooker switch in wrong position". If I remember correctly the switch is well above the hob, doesn't have a socket and shows no sign of heat damage after over 30 years there. He also mentioned the 17th edition consumer unit as C3.

If it is the water that is not bonded then it's probably boxed in. The
EICR requires you to verify the continuity and connections. It can be a
tough one when you can see the clamp behind the kitchen unit but cannot
access it etc.

Sounds like choc boxes "might" solve the lights problem.

The cooker switch is his personal recommendation. There is not much you
can do about it. I did suggest blanking it off. That should not be
expensive or messy.

--
Adam