Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline

Default Neodymium magnet puzzlement

In message , "Brian Gaff (Sofa)"
writes
In what way? If you mean non ferrous, that very much depends on the sort of
Stainless it is. We used to have many debates about this issue at Racal
Marine. You or probably going to get involved in spec numbers and standards
if you want it to be really non ferrous. You don't have this with Ally
sheet!

The reason Racal were upset was the radar system can be near the compass,
requiring a re calibrate if it has any residual magnetism.

In my limited experience, SS which can be hardened is magnetic. The
blades of our cutlery knives are magnetic but not the handles.

--
Tim Lamb