Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Piezo Electric Gas Lighter

Normally they work a bit like a toggle switch, IE putting a sudden
compression on the crystal, so you get a sharp pulse to the step up device.
Two things, either its not doing that sharp pulse or damp is getting into
the transformer. I prefer the invertors driven ones. OK you need a battery,
but they keep on sparking as you hold your finger on the button. I used to
hate those filament ones on the top of a giant 1.5v cell, what a was of time
they were!

Brian who nowadays has no gas!

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Thu, 15 Oct 2020 21:02:30 -0000 (UTC), Jim Jackson
wrote:

Recently bought a CK Classic Piezo Electric Gas Lighter for lighting our
gas rings on the cooker. Worked like a charm for a couple of weeks then
it has, twice now, stopped working and after 24 or so hours starts
working again.

When it's not working it feels like the lever you press isn't squeezing
the piezo material - there is no "friction" feel. At first I thought
something had slipped inside, but was loath to take apart as I might
need to return it as faulty. I'm baffled by the erratic behaviour.

Anyone got any insights into what these devices do? Could it be
damp/water etc affecting the workings?

Jim

I used to have one that lived in a shed, for lighting a gas kiln.
Except that it never worked out there, whereas it did work indoors. I
assumed it was damp out there. Kept it indoors, eventually. But I
can't remember if it 'felt' different to use.

--

Chris