Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Talking of fibre

On Fri, 16 Oct 2020 09:37:04 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

The cabinet is about 3km from the exchange; I don't know
if that is a factor with fibre.

For FTTC it's the length and condition of the copper from the cabinet
to you that is important. With 37 Mbps down that equates to about 700
m.

58 km limit I believe.

That's certainly within the range of a single mode fibre point to
point link but I think Openreach are installing GPON (Gigabit Passive
Optical Network). This takes the fibre from the head end "line card"
and optically splits it 32 (or even 64) ways. This reduces the range
but it's still in the order of 10 km or more providing up to 1 Gbps
symetrical (if they wanted to).

--
Cheers
Dave.