Posted to uk.d-i-y
PeterC PeterC is offline

Default Talking of fibre

On Thu, 15 Oct 2020 16:34:26 +0100 (BST), Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Thu, 15 Oct 2020 15:17:52 +0100, PeterC wrote:

Here is a termination point near us before any customers were

hooked up
to it - you can see the yellow stripe cable:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...ermination.jpg

That's a joint bullet where one cable is split to two others (in this
case).

Is it run to a DP and then to the properties, same as copper is?
Certainly save digging.

After the split the cables will run to a fibre DP at the top of a
pole or maybe another split. The fibre DPs are black with quite
chunky downward pointing prongs. These are individual fibre ports
fitted with a blanking plug. To connect a customer the blanking plug
is removed and the cable plugged in, the blanking plug then mated
with the cables cap to keep things clean. Fibre cable run to premises
and a fibre connector fitted to plug into the ONT.

Thanks for the explanation. I'll see if it has made any progress next time
I'm passing.
FTTP might not be very good here. We get a steady 37Mbps down 9Mbps up and
that's it on FTTC. The cabinet is about 3km from the exchange; I don't know
if that is a factor with fibre.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away