Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Electrical safety requirements in a rental property

On 15/10/2020 08:06, tim... wrote:

"Robin" wrote in message
On 14/10/2020 15:54, GB wrote:
On 14/10/2020 14:15, tim... wrote:

and 3. Moving the cooker switch to under the counter top.

AIUI the requirement is that it should be remote from the cooker by
some (unknown to me) distance.

So you can turn the power off under a chip pan fire without getting
burnt, is that the idea?

There's long been guidance in the OSG that it's a "bad thing" to fit a
cooker unit directly above a cooker. But I've never been clear if that's:

'cos of chip fires (an emergency for which I'd recommend using the
consumer unit anyway)

'cos of the heat/steam/smoke from cooking

'cos a lot of them have a socket and there's the risk of flex across
the hob

let alone on the basis of which reg(s).

With luck Adam will tell us what he codes them - and whether the less
savoury end of the market does the same.

Here's a sort of summary

https://www.davidsavery.com/index.ph...solator-switch

"If youre having a new kitchen, it is considered best practice for a
cooker switch to be installed within two metres of the appliance, but
not within 300mm of its hot surface"

Oh dear, mine, installed only a year ago, are at 200

That is interesting reading and makes some very good points.

Thanks for posting the link.

Delighted that he said "average abode".

"Some would say that a cooker switch is unnecessary in the home because
the circuit can be isolated from the consumer unit which, although not
usually within two metres of the cooker, is still close by in your
average abode."

It's 60m from the CU to the cooker in the 3 bed bungalow I am rewiring.
Probably the weirdest abode I have worked in.

--
Adam