Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default Dee Dah Dee Dah, not enough WIND !!

On 15/10/2020 08:42, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Thu, 15 Oct 2020 08:18:13 +0100, Andy Bennet
wrote:

On 14/10/2020 20:08, Andrew wrote:
In the DT -

"The operator of Britain's electricity network warned late on Wednesday
afternoon that low wind levels had forced it to search for emergency
sources of power.

In a statement, the National Grid Electricity Systems Operator (ESO)
said: "Unusually low wind output coinciding with a number of generator
outages means the cushion of spare capacity we operate the system with
has been reduced."

.... and the problem is??

Provided we still have spare capacity it's a non-issue.

The deployment of additional HVDC interconnectors to international wind
and solar farms will solve the issue long term.

ROTFLMAO! No...it...won't!! Not...a...cat...in...hell's...chance!

We already have several interconnectors to the near continent. They
are only able to supply at most about 10% of the UK's demand, quite
often less. Do you really think that enough interconnectors will be
laid to supply all of it? And that pre-supposes that the electricity
will be available in Europe for us to purchase, which it won't be.
When demand is high in the UK, because it's cold in winter, demand is
also high across Europe for the same reason. Often, when there's
little or no wind in the UK due to a 'blocking high' in winter, that
blocking high covers a substantial part of Europe. There won't be any
spare electricity to feed the interconnectors.

You live in a fools' paradise.

The rest of that article goes on to explain that the link that should
have brought a lot of windy-electricity from Scotland to southern
England was out of action last year for some reason.