Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Choice of jigsaw

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
In article ,
Tricky Dicky wrote:
I have come to the conclusion I need a decent jigsaw so I am looking at
a Makita 4350FCT seems well recommended available from Amazon for £130.
Can any one vouch for it or a better alternative in a similar price
range.

One question is Orbital or Pendulum action the same thing and what are
the pros and cons of this.

Perhaps our US cousins didn't understand pendulum. To me something that
orbits goes round and round.

what about a (non random) orbital sander?

It still goes round. The drive is a rotating offset peg. So the pad takes
an orbit. Attach a pencil to it and see what it draws out. Now do the same
with a pendulum jigsaw.

Would make an interesting jigsaw - although
have seen ones where the blade can be rotated off the straight ahead
position.

B&D made a thing of that at one time...

Was that who made it? Couldn't remember. ;-)

Pendulum describes it better - the blade moves forward when cutting
and backwards on the downstroke. And you'd be hard pushed to find one
without this action these days. But you should be able to switch it
off for fine cutting - or rather as fine as a jigsaw can manage.

Which in the case of that model, is actually surprisingly fine.

Any half decent jigsaw can cut thin stuff quite accurately.

--
*I'm pretty sure that sex is better than logic, but I can't prove it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.