Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Car lamp bases / LED replacement?

In article ,
T i m wrote:
Possible to remove the base from your old bulb and fit a suitable led
cluster to that? Or change the bulb holder?

Well, as I've replied to Paul since, I had a 'what if' along those
lines and assuming the pin spacing / orientation is 'stock'. for
something more common, I could re-wire it so that the base is earth
and then could feed the two filaments as you might with a stop / tail.

Assuming the holder makes it possible to wire to the base. It could be
plastic (or a brass sleeve in plastic)

So it's just a matter or finding a suitable (LEDS facing straight out
and sideways) LED lamp and giving it a go.

Most car replacements are like that, as the original tungsten made use of
a crude reflector.

Would you think running stop / rail together would impact the life
span much Dave?

Interesting point. Things like rear fogs can use a 19 watt SBC, and they
could be on for quite a time, rather than stop lights, etc. You'd expect a
tail light to have a good life.

--
*Xerox and Wurlitzer will merge to market reproductive organs.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.