Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Fibre.

On 13/10/2020 08:46, polygonum_on_google wrote:
On Monday, 12 October 2020 22:56:02 UTC+1, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 12 Oct 2020 15:38:45 +0100, alan_m wrote:

From memory the contract had to be with EE.

Most if not all none Openreach physical broadband providers only
offer a single ISP be that one they also run or one contracted in.
So no choice of ISP like you get of OPENreach.

When FTTP was installed for us, we had very little choice of ISP.
Most wouldn't touch us.

A quick check suggests that there are still problems.

Not all ISPs do, however there is now good choice of those that do. Even
when getting ours a while back there were probably half a dozen that did
then.

We found that many checkers said they could supply fibre, but when
they found out it was FTTP only, they would not offer anything. But

Sometimes it takes a while for the openreach databases that indicate
what services are available to be updated and indicate that FTTP is live
- so you may find with new installs that many can't actually identify a
service they could provide for.

their websites often continued to make offers based on FTTC. (It is
because our copper is so bad, we couldn't get even halfway acceptable
broadband until FTTP was laid. Totally unsuitable for FTTC. But the
ISPs don't know/understand that.)

That's usually the main driver for Openreach to in install FTTP -
basically when (like here) the cabinet network is unable to support FTTC
at the location)

--
Cheers,

John.